You can bring your own router to get connected to our service! To do so, configuration is required.1. When using your own router, first ensure:
- It is not locked to another provider's service
- It has a WAN/Internet port
If you are using a router that has been used with another service previously, we recommend you Factory Reset the router you want to use in order to remove any existing configuration. This can usually be done by inserting a pin or something similar into the factory reset button in the back of the router.
2. Along with the following guidance, we suggest you look up your router’s model number on Google to find more information. You may well be able to find a specific user manual, screenshots of the process and the default username and password for the router interface page.
3. Plug your router in with a power cable and press the power button. Connect the router’s WAN/Internet port to the designated Lightning Broadband wall port (there should be an sticker to indicate the correct port) using an Ethernet cable.
4. Now you need to connect the device you intend to use to configure the router, to the Wi-Fi network of your router. The network name and password can be found on the bottom or back of the device.
You are connecting to the network, this does not mean the internet, as it is not yet set up for your internet connection – that comes later!
A laptop or PC are the best devices to use, a tablet can also be used but may be less convenient. Configuration via mobile phone is only recommended if there is an App provided by the router manufacturer.
The first step is to look at the label on bottom or back of your router, as it should have all the information required to connect the Wi-Fi as well as logging into the configuration page of the router.
5. Once connected, open a web browser window, and enter the relevant IP address* in the search bar (where you would usually type a web address) .
* The IP address and details to log in to the configuration page can also be found on the bottom of the device. We have also listed the most common below.
- Asus: 192.168.1.1
- D-Link: 192.168.0.1 or http://dlinkrouter or 192.168.1.1
- Fritzbox: 192.168.178.1
- Huawei: 192.168.1.1
- Netcomm: 192.168.20.1
- Netgear: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or http://www.routerlogin.com
- Sagemcom F@st: 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 10.1.1.1
- Technicolor: 192.168.1.254
- TP-Link: 192.168.1.1 or http://tplinkwifi.net
- **192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 are the most common router IP addresses.
If this does not work, try a wired connection to the router (connect an Ethernet cable to an Ethernet port in your device, and to one of the available LAN/Ethernet ports (not WAN/Internet) on your router. Some routers might require a wired connection for setup, but for most a Wi-Fi connection will work.
6. The router interface/webpage will require a username and password - the most common username is admin and the most common password is also admin
Netgear routers have a different default password. It’s commonly password. Sometimes the default username and password are written on the label on the bottom of the router, or you may be able to find them on the internet by looking up your router model.
7. Now you need to set up a new connection/configure your router.
Some routers may provide a wizard function to assist with this, but not all.
- Service type is likely to be Internet, WAN, or Ethernet WAN
- Connection type is PPPoE or PPP over Ethernet (NOT Dynamic/Static etc.)
8. You will then have to enter your specific connection credentials/PPPoE username and password.
These will have been provided in the 'Let's get you connected!' email sent out on payment completion. They can also be found in your Customer Portal by selecting Broadband > Service Options > Router Configuration (see our Customer Portal Broadband FAQ for detailed instructions).
Be sure to copy paste your credentials as they must be exact or the connection will fail.
9. Time to connect and get lightning-fast, symmetrical speeds!
How to configure a Netcomm router
You may have purchased the the Netcomm Wireless NF18ACV from Lightning Broadband directly, or from a retailer. Please view the below video that will guide you through its configuration.
If you purchased a pre-configured router from Lightning Broadband, you do NOT need to configure it. However, if you at any point factory reset it (please don't!), you can follow the instructions below to reconfigure it.
I have a Netcomm router but my interface looks different
If you are experiencing reduced router functionality or you notice your router interface looks the same as in the below video, you may need to update your firmware. This will optimise your router, offering new features and security improvements.